Are there any limitations or exclusions to the Term Life Insurance plan?
Term Life Insurance
Limitations & Exclusions
If you commit suicide, while sane or insane, within two (2) years from the Effective Date, the amount payable by us will be limited to the sum of the premiums paid. It is important that you read your Insurance Policy when you get it to understand exactly what you are covered for.
Are there any limitations or exclusions to the optional Child Life plan?
If an insured child commits suicide within two years of the date his or her Child Term Life Insurance coverage begins or the date of the last change to Child Term Life Insurance where evidence of insurability was provided, We will not pay the death benefit described in the Subsection Amount of the Death Benefit. It is important that you read your Insurance Policy when you get it to understand exactly what you are covered for.
Are there any limitations or exclusions to the optional critical illness coverage?
Exclusions for Cancer
The following are excluded from coverage:
- Carcinoma in situ;
- Stage 1A malignant melanoma (melanoma less than or equal to 1.0 mm in thickness, not ulcerated and without level IV or V invasion);
- any non-melanoma skin cancer that has not become metastatic (spread to distant organs);
- Stage A (T1a and T1b) prostate cancer;
- Any tumor in the presence of any human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
Furthermore, no Critical Illness Benefit for cancer will be payable:
Exclusion for Stroke
- if a Diagnosis of any type of cancer (covered or excluded under this Rider) is made within the Qualifying Period; or
- if a Diagnosis of any type of cancer (covered or excluded under this Rider) is made as the result of symptoms, signs and/or medical consultations or tests present within the Qualifying Period; or
- if, during or after the Qualifying Period, a subsequent Diagnosis of any cancer (covered or excluded under this Rider) is made, and such Diagnosis directly results from any cancer or the treatment of cancer described under 1. or 2. above.
We will not pay a benefit for stroke unless there is evidence of a new measurable permanent clinical neurological deficit persisting for at least thirty (30) consecutive days following the occurrence of the stroke. Transient Ischemic Attacks (TIA) and neurological deficits caused by external trauma are specifically excluded.
Exclusions and Limitations that apply to all Covered Conditions
No Critical Illness Benefit will be payable with respect to a Covered Condition if We determine that at any time before the Effective Date or the latest Reinstatement date of the Base Plan, or during the Qualifying Period, You had:
- any Diagnosis, Pre-existing Cancer or type of cancer, whether it is a Covered Condition or not; or
- any symptoms, signs and/or medical consultations or tests, whether or not performed in Canada, and such symptoms, signs, and/or medical consultations or tests initiated any investigations that led to a Diagnosis of any type of cancer, whether it is a Covered Condition or not.
That determination will be based on conditions specifically identified in, or that can reasonably be inferred to have existed at that time from, Your application, a related declaration of health, or other information that You authorize or make available to Us.
Furthermore, We will not pay benefits under this Rider if You, while sane or insane, suffer a Covered Condition as a direct or indirect result of any of the following:
It is important that you read your Insurance Policy when you get it to understand exactly what you are covered for.
- abuse of alcohol or drugs, or use of illicit drugs;
- attempted suicide or self-inflicted injury;
- committing or attempting to commit a criminal offence;
- war or terrorism, or any act of war or act of terrorism;
- operation, or care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether or not in motion, while the quantity of alcohol in Your blood exceeds 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.
No benefit will be paid unless You survive at least thirty (30) days following the first Diagnosis of a Covered Condition, and You have not experienced irreversible cessation of all functions of the brain. The 30-day period will be measured from the date of first Diagnosis. No benefit shall accrue during this 30-day period.