Critical Illness - Eligibility Requirements
Before you apply for the Engineers Canada-sponsored Critical Illness Plan, take a moment to determine if your current health makes you ineligible for this coverage.
Coverage is not available to any applicant who has had any of the following conditions or procedures:
- Active hepatitis, AIDS or AIDS-related disease
- Alcohol abuse in the past five years
- Alzheimer's disease
- Any heart condition or heart trouble (excluding controlled hypertension)
- Cancer - all cancer except basal cell skin cancer
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart attack
- Huntington's chorea
- Kidney disease - other than kidney stones or a history of kidney infection
- Lou Gehrig's disease - amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Major organ transplant recipient
- Multiple sclerosis
- Permanent paralysis (paraplegia, quadriplegia) - other than Bell's Palsy
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Stroke - cerebrovascular accident
- Transient Ischemic Attack
This Plan is reserved for members of provincial or territorial associations/l'ordre of engineering professionals and their spouses. All applicants must be resident in Canada and under 66 years of age, or under 75 years of age if already insured under this plan.
Who is eligible to apply:
- Members of the 12 provincial and territorial engineering licensing associations/l’ordre, including members in training. Also, student engineers who are members of a student section (in those associations where a student section exists) and who are within 24 months of expected graduation from a program accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board.
Members of the 10 provincial associations of technicians and technologists.
Members of the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Nova Scotia.
Members of the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario.
Members of l’Ordre des architectes du Québec, the Manitoba Association of Architects, the Newfoundland Association of Architects, the Architect’s Association of New Brunswick and the Nova Scotia Association of Architects.
Permanent full-time employees of the eligible associations, as defined above, or of Engineers Canada.
Retirees and spouses of members are also eligible to apply for Critical Illness coverage.